23 October 2009

Bigger Than Ourselves

There is no "me" in team. None of us living today who participated in that war made it out of Vietnam on our own. None of you living today will make it through your trials, your battles on your own. "We" won the war. "We" never lost a battle, and "We" never left any of our own on the battlefield. The word "We" gives me the priviledge of always being able to remain a part of something larger than myself. "We" by it's inclusiveness, makes me immortal because being part of "We", the United States Marine Corps, makes me a part of history.

Semper Fidelis
Bill

Used by permission of Alvin L. Simpson, from his book "Distant Shore: A Memoir".

1 comment:

Christine Trollinger said...

Yes, We are a part of history. And "WE" will shoulder on together.

Semper Fi